These past few weeks have been some of the most difficult New York City has ever faced; COVID-19 has changed everything about the way we interact with the city we love. At Habitat NYC, we understand that these times are trying, no matter your health or financial situation. That’s why we have compiled the list of resources below.
While some of these apply only to Habitat NYC Homeowners, Homebuyers and accepted Home Purchase Program applicants, we hope that you will share this list with anyone who may need it.
We are in this together.
Mortgage Relief Resources:
- For those whose mortgages are held by Habitat NYC: We are offering mortgage relief for our portfolio of Homeowners. You should have received a letter in the mail regarding potential mortgage forbearance. Please email email@example.com with any questions or to apply for a forbearance. Applicable only to Habitat Homeowners.
- For those whose mortgages are held by SONYMA (anyone who purchased their home after 2006): Please follow up with your lender if you have not heard from them already. Applicable only to Habitat Homeowners.
- Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our friends at the Neighborhood Trust Financial Partners are offering their tele-coaching service TrustPlus to Habitat Homeowners, Homebuyers and future Homebuyers, in order to provide financial coaching via phone or Skype—supported by digital tools—to workers experiencing shocks, navigating cash flow challenges, and deciding which bills to pay. If you are interested in taking part in this free service, contact FinancialEducation@habitatnyc.org for a code and instructions. Applicable only to Habitat Homeowners, Homebuyers and future Homebuyers.
- If you are having trouble paying your property taxes, help is available. For information on the Property Tax and Interest Deferral (PT AID) program and how to apply click here.
- Filing your 2019 taxes may be the last thing on your mind right now, but those who might qualify for a tax refund may not want to wait until the last minute. Even though the deadline to file has been postponed until July 15, if you would like to file now, we have volunteers who can help. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in help with tax preparation.
- Should any legal issues arise in relation to your home, please reach out to the attorney you used, or are currently using, to purchase your home.
- Here are some additional legal resources: Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A, Legal Services NYC, or the Legal Aid Society.
- New York City Public Schools are offering three free meals a day to anyone in need – no one will be turned away. Visit their website for more information and to find your closest Meal Hub.
- FoodHelp NYC – Visit FoodHelp NYC for an interactive map of food pantries and community kitchens in NYC.
- NTFP also has a useful online guide of resources that are available to help with any challenges caused by the coronavirus pandemic, from low-cost loans and food pantries to tips on how to negotiate bills and waive fees.